Southwark Iron Bridge in 1828

Southwark Iron Bridge in 1828

Designed by John Rennie the elder and opened in 1819, the cast iron bridge at Southwark was the state-of-the-art in bridge building at the time, with three flat arches supporting a 42-foot-wide roadway. The centre arch, at 240 feet, was the longest of its kind ever constructed. The width was a requirement, because of fears of obstruction to the navigation on the Thames. The bridge was rebuilt in 1921.

Engraving

Image ID :
2578446
Image type :
Engraving
Published :
1828
Author :
Cooke, G.
Collection :
Source :
Cooke, G.: Views in London and its vicinity, 1834
Credit :
Institution of Civil Engineers
Image added on 24 APRIL 2013
Resolution
RAW size
Download
Small
168 x 102 px (96dpi)
7 Kb
Medium
400 x 244 px (96dpi)
37 Kb
Resolution
RAW size
Large
2036 x 1242 px (300dpi)
1.11 MB

Enter your details below to request for a higher resolution copy of the image.

Please note: Reproduction fees may be charged.